Skip to main content
Email Templates Bugged Problem Started by D.M. · · Read 2790 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. previous topic - next topic

Email Templates Bugged Problem

Greetings community !
After having a rough time setting up SMTP it finally worked you can go check it out in one of the posts regarding setting up SMTP through SendGrid,
and well after setting it up and finally having Registration emails going through smoothly I am having a new problem regarding the mail system

The Email templates are awfully looking, not sure if they are supposed to look like this, if it is then it's okay I can handle the eyesore ?

mail+templates+problem.jpg

But the main problem is that when the Account Activation link after registering is clicked inside the email, the ''Wrong activation code'' page appears with a box to enter it manually, and only after entering it manually does it work , even though this is not such a big deal and I am ready to remove the activation link completely if needed and just use the manual code entry verification, but just wanted to see if there is a way to fix up the links a bit , seems like the HTML shortcodes aren't working as they are supposed to?

So if anyone has any ideas on what I could do to fix this up it would help out a lot !

Thanks in advance !

Re: Email Templates Bugged Problem

Reply #1

Quote from: Denis M. – So if anyone has any ideas on what I could do to fix this up it would help out a lot !

Yep - get rid of Sendgrid and use your host -  then those cryptified links inserted by Sendgrid in the outbound email (necessary to get back to your website) won't be necessary.

This is what it should look like...

show.jpg
Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 04:59:24 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #2

Quote from: Steeley –
Quote from: Denis M. – So if anyone has any ideas on what I could do to fix this up it would help out a lot !

Yep - get rid of Sendgrid and use your host -  then those cryptified links inserted by Sendgrid in the outbound email (necessary to get back to your website) won't be necessary.

This is what it should look like...

[attach align=left]10738[/attach]

Greetings Steeley! and you are right ! I am using SendGrid only because mass emailing through my host will get me blocked as they advised me, but since I wont be having like hundreds of emails being sent and the forums have only 1 member at the current moment which is me I cannot expect a lot of emails going through!

You offer a good point, but how would one go on with setting up the mail system so it doesn't go through PHP ? or does it need to go through PHP if I decide to use my hosting provider as the email server ?

I am providing a screenshot of my hosting mailbox information below, since these mailing systems confuse me a bit, should this be the information entered for SMTP ?

smtp+manual+configuration+settings.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and help ! It means a lot really !

Or should I just leave it on PHP default and contact my hosting provider for further assistance in setting up the email, I will be contacting my hosting provider as soon as I get a reply here!
Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 01:23:12 am by Denis M.

Reply #3

Quote from: Denis M. – Or should I just leave it on PHP default and contact my hosting provider for further assistance in setting up the email, I will be contacting my hosting provider as soon as I get a reply here!

Yes indeed.. don't try to address hypothetical problems unless and until they actually materialize. 

I responded in more detail in the Sendgrid thread..  but yea, trust ElkArte to work, set the email accounts as basic SMTP like any other email account,  Identify in EA which accounts are for which purpose, configure EA to access them, and let it fly..

In the mean time, end this thread since it's an artifact of the other Sendgrid issue, and then abandon Sendgrid, and if you run into issues with native operation, open a new thread about those issues if you and your host can't resolve it and we'll be all over it with you.

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #4

Quote from: Steeley –
Quote from: Denis M. – Or should I just leave it on PHP default and contact my hosting provider for further assistance in setting up the email, I will be contacting my hosting provider as soon as I get a reply here!

Yes indeed.. don't try to address hypothetical problems unless and until they actually materialize. 

I responded in more detail in the Sendgrid thread..  but yea, trust ElkArte to work, set the email accounts as basic SMTP like any other email account,  Identify in EA which accounts are for which purpose, configure EA to access them, and let it fly..

In the mean time, end this thread since it's an artifact of the other Sendgrid issue, and then abandon Sendgrid, and if you run into issues with native operation, open a new thread about those issues if you and your host can't resolve it and we'll be all over it with you.

Okay @Steeley I listened to the advice and heres my new post about the subject Mail Completely Not Working Now

Reply #5

Quote from: Denis M. – he Email templates are awfully looking, not sure if they are supposed to look like this, if it is then it's okay I can handle the eyesore ?
Quote from: Steeley – then those cryptified links inserted by Sendgrid in the outbound email (necessary to get back to your website) won't be necessary.
I had no idea that sendgrid would rewrite the links, those are crazy looking. 

Its possible (with several manual edits etc) that instead of having full https:\\www.tld.com\bla links that you could strip off the https:\\ and then they would not be modified, of course they would not be clickable in the email, the user would have to cut / paste which is a horrible experience. 

Seems like if using sendgrid you just have to live with that, its the price you pay for "free"

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds –
Quote from: Denis M. – he Email templates are awfully looking, not sure if they are supposed to look like this, if it is then it's okay I can handle the eyesore ?
Quote from: Steeley – then those cryptified links inserted by Sendgrid in the outbound email (necessary to get back to your website) won't be necessary.
I had no idea that sendgrid would rewrite the links, those are crazy looking. 

Its possible (with several manual edits etc) that instead of having full https:\\www.tld.com\bla links that you could strip off the https:\\ and then they would not be modified, of course they would not be clickable in the email, the user would have to cut / paste which is a horrible experience. 

Seems like if using sendgrid you just have to live with that, its the price you pay for "free"

Yeah that is not an option unfortunately   :rolleyes:  , I have decided to go with my hosting providers email service and just avoid being blocked, they block all emails that are like a ''newsletter'' with the same email being sent to multiple email adresses, that's the only restriction, so I will just be starting off with email notifications being turned down to the max, registration/reset password emails etc. will work fine though

But unfortunately now when I reverted back to the PHP Default email option in Mail Settings the mail doesnt go through and just dissapears ? I've made a new post about the problem, keep in mind theres no error log information I could use to go deeper on the subject, so now I am completely lost  :cry:

ElkArte Mail Not Working